Science Fair - Thursday, Feb 12 from 6-7 p.m.
Pajama Day/Valentine’s Day Breakfast - Friday, Feb 13
Mid Winter Break - Mon, Feb 16 - Fri, Feb. 20
End of Trimester 2 / AR - Friday, March 6
The second round of seminars have begun. Students attend two different seminars for the five week period. Thirteen different seminars were offered. Most seminars this trimester have an academic focus on reading, writing, or math. Ask your child what seminar he or she is in, and what they like most about the opportunity to attend different seminars throughout the fifth grade year.
We are beginning our second round of literature circles. The are four different groups, reading four different books over a four week period.
The books are:
1. Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry by Mildred Taylor
2. The Watsons Go to Birmingham by Christopher Paul Curtis
3. Bud Not Buddy by Christopher Paul Curtis
4. Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Woodson
This month in Social Studies we'll be studying Life in the Colonies learning about:
Students are working in Unit 4 which focuses on multiplying and dividing decimals. We are exploring the following concepts:
• model multiplication and division of decimals
• multiply and divide decimals by powers of 10
• use estimation when multiplying and dividing decimals
• multiply and divide decimals with fluency
• determine relationship between quantities algebraically
• recognize student errors in multiplication and division of decimals
• use decimals to solve problems
Students are engaging in many exciting hands on activities and games to help them explore these concepts.
Our next unit will cover the multiplication and division of fractions.